Frequently Asked Questions

How do I hunt on Fort Bragg?

You must obtain a Fort Bragg Hunting Permit in addition to the appropriate North Carolina state license.  To obtain the Fort Bragg Permit, you must complete two requirements: 1) Show proof of completing a state certified hunter education course (from any state) and 2) Attend the one-hour Fort Bragg Hunter Orientation Briefing.  Additionally, all hunters who have a 3 year lapse (or longer) in active hunting permits will be required to re-take the orientation before their permit may be renewed.  The hunter orientation is held every day we are open 12:00 and 15:00 here at the Hunting & Fishing Center.  Please be advised that we do not offer the briefing between mid-May and the end of July.

State Hunter Safety Course: Fort Bragg has an exceptional hunter safety record.  To keep this level of safety, we will accept only State (all states are recognized) Hunter Safety Classes; you must present verification of completing the course (previously issued state licenses are not sufficient).  State offices will frequently fax duplicate records directly to our office (910-396-9474), or they may email them to you.  We will assist you in any way we can to obtain these verifications, but we cannot and will not make exceptions.  We appreciate your understanding of a stringent hunter safety code.


How can I fish on Fort Bragg?

Simply come by the office during permit sales hours and purchase a post fishing permit.  Anglers must also possess an inshore state fishing license in addition to the post permit.  Your permit (and license) authorize you to fish in any body of water on the installation except those that are explicitly closed.  A license and permit are required for all anglers 16 years of age and older. 


I am a civilian with no affiliation to the military or Fort Bragg.  Am I eligible to buy a post hunting and/or fishing permit?

Yes, you are.  The process is effectively the same as described above.  The main difference is gaining access to the cantonment (city part of the installation) without a military ID.  You will first have to stop by the Visitor Control Center adjacent to the All American Access Control Point (gate) north of Fayetteville to obtain a visitor pass.  For more information on doing so please visit


How does the hunter check in and out work?  

Hunters may check in using the iSportsman (web-based system) beginning at 12:01 am the day of the hunt using any web-capable device.  Once logged in to the system, the check in process is fairly self explanatory.  Make sure you pay attention and follow ALL the steps until you see a notification page confirming your check in is complete.  If you get in a hurry and quit before you see this page, you are not checked in and thus hunting illegally.  At the conclusion of your hunt, hunters MUST check out by the designated no later than time, which is displayed on your check in confirmation.  You may also use any web-capable device to accomplish this.  Internet-capable kiosks (they kind of look like an ATM) are provided for hunters who do not carry a smartphone, or who may experience connectivity issues.  The locations are as follows:  1) Hunting and Fishing Center; 2) Station 2, located at the intersection of Manchester and King Roads; 3) Linden Oaks, which is the housing area on the west side of NC Hwy 87, north of Spring Lake.  The kiosk is housed in a gazebo, located on the south side of the entrance road to the neighborhood before you reach the gate; 4) Chicken Road gate.  The gazebo and kiosk are located just west of the ACP on the south side of the road.  See the map of kiosk locations.   


Can I hunt and fish every day on Fort Bragg?

Unless specifically closed (we'll post signs) all lakes are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the exception of McFayden, which is open only during daylight hours.  Fort Bragg is typically closed to hunting and scouting on Mondays and Tuesdays.  The only exception is when a Federal Holiday is observed on a Monday; in that case we'll be open that Monday, and closed the following Tuesday and Wednesday.  We will also be open for hunting daily during the Army's half-day schedule (usually the week before and week after Christmas).  We'll be closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  Check out the calendar (updated 8/9/18) for additional information. 

Whenever we deviate from our normal hunting schedule we'll post it on the main Hunting page and on our Facebook page.


Do you plant food plots?  If so, where are they?

We generally try to plant ~150 food plots scattered across the installation; sometimes more, sometimes less as resources allow.  We plant a cool season forage, usually abruzzi rye and/or winter wheat.  We'll mix in some Austrian winter peas or iron clay peas as well.  There is a link on our MAPS page that shows all food field locations within a given training area.  These maps are not, nor will they be, updated to reflect which specific fields are planted each year; they are merely a reference so you may learn where they are.  We believe that scouting is an integral part of hunting.       


Where can I find the dates and locations for a Hunter Education Course?

North Carolina Hunter Education Courses are given throughout the year by various groups or agencies.  You should check your local newspaper or call the NCWRC for information on course dates and locations.  Local scheduled courses can be found by following this link.


How much does a Fort Bragg Permit cost?

Prices vary depending on what type of permit you wish to obtain.  Check out the permits page for a list of permits and the cost associated with each one.


Which fish and wildlife species can be harvested?

Fort Bragg is home to a variety of game animals and fish.  White-tailed deer hunting is our most popular activity; however, many permit holders also regularly hunt mourning doves, quail, squirrels (gray and fox), waterfowl, and wild turkeys.  Opportunites to hunt coyotes, bobcats, foxes, crows, raccoons, and opossums are also available.  Most lakes on the installation feature a largemouth bass, bluegill, redear sunfish (shellcracker) species composition.  Channel catfish and black crappies can also be caught.  Please refer to the hunting page or the fishing page for additional information.


Is baiting allowed on Fort Bragg?

No.  You may not hunt over an area that has been baited, regardless of the game species sought. Please note that while a number of our regulations mirror the State of North Carolina's, this is an example of one that differs.


Where is the Hunting and Fishing Center located?

We are located in Building OT-9034 on McKellars Road, across from McKellar's Lodge. We're about 3 miles north of the intersection of Gruber Road and Longstreet (Gruber turns into McKellar's road next to Pike Field).  If you Google "McKellar's Lodge Fort Bragg, NC" you will see its location.  Our office is immediately across the street (north) from the lodge.


What are your hours of operation?

Permit sales are Wednesday through Saturday from 1100 until 1630; the permit sales counter is closed on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  However, we are open on all Federal holidays that fall on Monday (not necessarily training holidays), in which case we are closed the following Tuesday and Wednesday.   Please call the office (910) 432-5427 or visit our Facebook page with questions or to confirm hours.


What about cutting firewood on Fort Bragg?

Permits for cutting dead and down trees for firewood are available from the Hunting and Fishing Center.  Permits are $5.00 and allow the user 1/2 cord (about a truckload) of dead and down firewood for personal use.  Woodcutters must wear hunter orange vests and hats during the hunting season and must sign out and in at the Hunting and Fishing Center.


What is the Quality Deer Management Area and how can I hunt there?

The Muddy Creek Quality Deer Management Area (QDMA) includes Northern Training Areas (NTA) 1 through 8.  This area is managed for older age class males, higher buck:doe ratios, and lower hunter density.  Antlered deer must have an inside spread of 12 inches or greater OR at least 3 points (at least one inch long) on 1 side to be legally harvested, regardless of weapon used.  This restriction will protect the yearling age class and most of the 2 1/2 yr. age class allowing them to reach older age before harvest.  Hunting in this management area, like the rest of Fort Bragg, will be contingent on military training requirements.  Hunter sign-out for these areas will work exactly like signing out to any other lettered training area.  However, it is incumbent upon the hunter to know and abide by the harvest restrictions.


I can't find the answer I need.  Now what?

You may call us at (910) 432-5427, or contact us via email at  Staff office hours are 0730-1700 hours Monday through Friday.


Do I need to register my firearms to hunt on Fort Bragg?

Yes. Please call or email the Visitor Center on All American Expressway for more information on how to accomplish this task.  910-907-5165; email:


How may I shoot at the firearm and archery ranges next to your office?

You can inquire directly at the range.  Counterintuitive as it may seem, they actually operate independently of us so they (and only they) can adequately address your questions. You may reach them at (910) 432-1391.



Questions or comments about the hunting and fishing programs?  Email us 

Questions or comments about this website?  Email us